Sunday, December 2, 2007

95.Townes Van Zandt - Our Mother The Mountain (Rear View Mirror,1993)




"If the wind or the trees or the land we walk on had a vocal soul, it would be Townes Van Zandt."

Townes' best live abum. Essentially a best-of, performed live in some little club somewhere at the peak of his power.Recorded with a small band that seems to consist of only of an occasional second guitar and a fiddle. It's love of natural imagery, it's love of life, it's love of love is self-evident. Even though told in a mournful, downbeat and weary lind of way you never feel that Van Zandt has given up."Our Mother the Mountain" is possibly the darkest, creepiest song ever recorded.


Our Mother The Mountain

My lover comes to me with a rose on her bosom
The moon’s dancin’ purple
All through her black hair
And a ladies-in-waiting she stands ’neath my window
And the sun will rise soon
On the false and the fair


She tells me she comes from my mother the mountain
Her skin fits her tightly
And her lips do not lie
She silently slips from her throat a medallion
Slowly she twirls it
In front of my eyes


I watch her, I love her, I long for to touch her
The satin she’s wearin’
Is shimmering blue
Outside my window her ladies are sleeping
My dogs have gone hunting
The howling is through


So I reach for her hand and her eyes turns to poison
And her hair turns to splinters,
And her flesh turns to brine
She leaps cross the room, she stands in the window
And screams that my first-born
Will surely be blind


She throws herself out to the black of the nightfall
She’s parted her lips
But she makes not a sound
I fly down the stairway, and I run to the garden
No trace of my true love
Is there to be found


So walk these hills lightly, and watch who you’re lovin’
By mother the mountain
I swear that it’s true
Love not a woman with hair black as midnight
And her dress made of satin
All shimmering blue


http://www.divshare.com/download/2976151-c06

No comments: