Friday, December 14, 2007

66.Daniel Johnston - Rock 'n' Roll/Ega (Fun,1994)





As with other talented but troubled artists such as Syd Barrett, Brian Wilson, and Roky Erickson, Daniel Johnston fights a daily battle with the chronic mental illness that has plagued him nearly his entire life. However, despite recurrent bouts of delusional behavior wherein he has physically endangered himself and others, Johnston has carved out a respectable, influential career as a singer/songwriter of extraordinary talent who has grown since his first crudely recorded cassette was released in 1980. He became the singer/songwriter of choice of the alternative/underground rock scene.Daniel Johnston's major-label debut "Fun"(1994) is, arguably, his finest moment. With considerable help from Butthole Surfer Paul Leary, Johnston has never sounded so self-assured or confident before. Some of the songs are more polished, but they're never slicked up to such a degree that this sounds like a user-friendly approximation of Johnston's style; in fact, there are plenty of tracks that return Johnston to the keyboards for his freewheeling, primitive workouts. Exhibiting some of his strongest songwriting to date, Fun is a rewarding record that never loses its initial, visceral appeal.Rock`n`Roll/Ega is one of saddest and most beautiful songs I ever heard.





Rock 'n' Roll/Ega


There was a day when I was so lonely
Time passed me by
I was more dead than alive
Every minute was like an hour
Every day was an eternity
I looked for hope but all around me
People didn't seem to care

CHORUS
Oh that rock 'n' roll it saved my soul
That rock 'n' roll

If I ever thought that I could be happy
Dreams like that always faded away
And all the girls already had boyfriends
I was alone as lonely could be
I laid asleep and turned on the radio
The music to me was like a dream

CHORUS

You walk around but you gotta have a reason
Something worth getting up in the morning for
My heart looked to art and I found the Beatles
Oh God I was and am a true disciple
Look for the fun you'll start a happy cycle
The music will make you come alive

CHORUS

She was crying just like a baby
Didn't wanna fight or more like maybe
You ought to get on home at night
Keep the battle to the right
Seeing the love and adultry
And wonderin' who was in the outfield
Swear I know the truth
And I ain't wearin' nobody's shoes
I got some dollar on high look out now
It's shining, with a bottle of knuckleheads
She's like a drunken rat cat, oh
I guess you're coming out the backdoor
She did all right it's a battle or fight
So I feel all empty now
You try to hold a figure eight
She said what's the Anti-Christ
He said oh what did you do to her
It's probably she's been talking to Lucifer
Is that really the night
Oh, my, uh, uh
Alright
Hey




http://www.divshare.com/download/3056133-319

No comments: